Quick and Easy Daal Recipe
Finding quick, healthy dinner ideas is tough for me, so when my hubby says I nailed it, I do a happy dance. Tonight was one of those nights. I made a super easy twist on daal (Indian lentils) sans salt, with vinegar, which lowers glycemic index, and loaded with fresh veggies – I just use veggies I happen to have at home.
I like to serve this with whole plain yogurt for added calcium and protein, and a grain – try quinoa instead of traditional basmati rice for a healthier alternative. If vegan is your thing, just take out the ghee. I admit that most of these measurements are guestimates because I can’t deal with measuring.
Here’s how I made it:
- Turn instant pot on sauté mode
- Add 1 tsp coconut oil
- Add 1 tsp ghee (Homemade by hubby and daughter!)
- Add 1 tbsp ginger/garlic paste, 1/2 chopped Serrano pepper, 1 tbsp ground cumin, 1 tbsp ground coriander, 1/4 tbsp cayenne pepper
- Other things from my spice box that I usually use but forgot tonight: mustard seeds and turmeric
- Add 1/2 chopped yellow onion and sauté until translucent
- Add 3 chopped medium tomatoes, 1 cup chopped carrots, 2 cups red lentils, 4 cups water, 1/4 cup vinegar and change to manual mode and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes
- Allow rapid pressure release before opening lid
- Open and add 1 5 oz box of spinach and lemon juice to taste
- Garnish with chopped cilantro